Daily Joy from Divine Caroline

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Catharsis of Poetry -- 30 Day Poetry Project

I love poetry. I haven't had the presence of mind to write poetry in many years; life and stress have reared their ugly heads. But I enjoy reading it, and writing it especially. What words can't describe in direct prose, becomes clear in the impressions and imagery of poetry.

Poetry has always been a therapeutic medium for me. It lets go of many of the worries and fears I have, no matter how dark and deep I choose to go into my chosen topic. Writing brings forth deep release, and poetry is king.

At Poewar.com, they have announced a 30 Poems in 30 Days Project. For each day in September, they will post an article about poetry, as well as a poetry prompt. You can use the prompt (or not) to create a poem each day, and share it with the other posters. I have decided to join this challenge. Check out the link here to learn more about it.

I chose to do this for a number of reasons. First, since poetry greatly improves my mental state, I decided to see how 30 days of poetry will make me feel. I will be posting the poems here, as well as my own mental progress. Second, I need as many outlets for my writing as I can, and poetry will always keep my writing hand nimble. Third, I wanted to see if my readers would like to join as well, to learn if poetry writing can improve your mental wellness also. If anyone joins, please drop me a line and let me know!

See you on the 1st!

No comments: