Daily Joy from Divine Caroline

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Third Step to Wellness

Okay, I promise not to make a lot of steps. Three is a good number for now.

WMWB Step 3: Set a measurable goal.

Pick one area you want to make improvements on in your life. It could be quitting smoking, losing weight, or anything else. Once you've chosen the area, pick a goal that you can measure in numbers. For example, I want to lose 30 pounds by April 2009. Setting a goal in that format (how much and by when) makes it very easy to see how far you've come, and how far you still have to go.

Setting a goal in this manner will also make you feel great, knowing you've actually made a commitment to yourself and the universe. Write it down, either on your calendar, in your journal, on a sticky note attached to your monitor. Keep it in a place where you can look at it on a daily basis. Keeping focus on your goals will greatly improve your odds of completing them.

Then, refer back to step two, and do something right NOW to place yourself one step closer to your goal.

Personally, I need to lose a little more weight. I have lost the "baby weight" that comes with having two kids, and now I'm looking to tone down and get my weight into the healthy column. I set my goal (30 pounds by April 2009) and then I did my first step. I joined Sparkpeople, a totally free site that gives you all the tools, motivation, and support you'd need to complete a diet and fitness program. The only hard part is stepping away from the computer long enough to do your exercise! The site is great, and I recommend it to anyone who'd like to lose a few pounds, or those who want to maintain their current weight.

Here's your link: Free Online Diet Plan at SparkPeople.com

No comments: