Daily Joy from Divine Caroline

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day 3: A Review of Meter

Okay, I must admit that I'm a free verse kinda gal all the way. So seeing this prompt today was a bit of a downer for me. I don't seem to think in meter, and trying to get the words to flow into a box, well, seems limiting to me. Although I believe the practice is good once in awhile. It keeps the mind nimble, and lets you break into areas you never thought possible. So, with meter in mind, here's my third offering.

Aloneness

A mind forgotten
A word misspoken
A hope replacing
A night foreboding.

Ripe for the chopping block
Sick of the endless knocks
Raised on the chimney tops
Looking for time to rot.

Cast upon the open sea
I glance at the night released
Mired within the starry trance
I rest at peace, lonely lance.

No comments: